Tuesday 20 August 2013

Out of the Box!

Hello Everyone, 
When Paula asked me to do a tutorial for the Joanna Sheen Challenge blog...I almost has a heart attack..then went into a complete head spin and total PANIC!!! When I finally calmed down I chose the 'Out of the Box technique' as a topic, and here it is. 

Out of the Box technique
This is a very useful technique to use when your image doesn’t quite fit into the area you want it to or if you particularly want a bit of it to show ‘outside’ the area.
I started by printing off an image from the gorgeous Shirley Barber CD, which is available from the Joanna Sheen website.

I wanted to cut this image out using a Classic Circle Spellbinders die, and have the top rose buds peaking out above the circle. To do this, place the die on the page where you want it, and with a pencil draw a line on the inside of the die.

Using scissors or a knife cut down into the image around all the parts that are outside the circle.

Slot these pieces through the centre of your die and line it up with the pencil lines you have drawn.
 The sharp cutting edge of your die should be facing downwards so those pieces of paper that are lying on top of the die will not be cut when you run it through your cutting machine.

Fix the die in place with easy lift tape and run it through your cutting machine.

Cut away the excess bits of paper from the image.

You should be left with a perfect circle and part of your image ‘outside’ the circle. Don’t forget to rub out your pencil lines!
I used this technique when I made the following card using the fabulous Shirley Barber CD.

I hope you have found this useful.


Well it's my gorgeous little girls 6th birthday today so I need to go and prepare her party food and play a few games!! lol It doesn't seam 2 minutes since she was born!
Have a lovely day and I'll be round to visit you later.
Lorraine x

24 comments:

Kim said...

fabulous tutorial Lorraine and very clear! happy birthday to your little girl and hope she has a wonderful day!
Kim x

Crafting Queen said...

Beautiful card.

Doreen said...

This is just gorgeous,fabulous image.Thanks for the tutorial.xxx

Pop's Cards said...

Good morning sweetie this is just gorgeous, hugs Pops x

KandA said...

Super tutorial Lorraine. Beautiful card and lovely shape.
Happy birthdaay to your little girl and I hope she has a fabulous day xx

Chrissy said...

So beautiful Lorraine, and really did need a fresh tutorial as I kept cutting in the wrong place, so thank you for that..

luv CHRISSYxx

brenda said...

Just stunning Lorraine and such gorgeous rich colours.

B x

As.I.Do.Rodos. said...

Stunning card and design and a brilliant tutorial Ginny x

Sue said...

It's a fabulous technique and you explained it so clearly.
I hope your daughter is having a wonderful birthday and that you all enjoy the party!
Sue

Little K Smith said...

Aaawww BIG birthday wishes to your daughter hun! And a fabulous technique too, I've always wondered how they did this! And a beautifully designed card! :)
Kelly.x

Wendy L said...

Thanks for this one Lorraine, gorgeous card too, xxx

KraftyKoolKat said...

Thanks for the tut sweetie. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your little girl.

Hugs
Cathy
xxxxxx

Kat W said...

I have only tried this technique a couple of times; I feel like I should have another go after seeing your beautiful card using it! Super clear and easy to read tutorial :-)
Hugs, Kat x

Jacqui's little piece of England said...

Beautiful Lorraine xx

Claire said...

WOW - a stunning card, gorgeous image. Hugs, Claire x

Craftyrose said...

Simply stunning card Lorraine. xx

Patricia said...

Good evening Lorraine,
Another of your wonderful creations, absolutely stunning.
Thank you for the Tutorial
Hugs

Patricia xxx

cotnob said...

This is a brilliant tutorial Lorraine, I only wish I'd seen it before I made my latest card.
I hope everyone enjoyed the party games.
Pauline
x

Marianne's Craftroom said...

I love using this technique too. Gorgeous card and Happy Birthday to your daughter.

Deborah said...

Great tutorial Lorraine, no need for you to panic. Your cards are always fabulous and this tutorial was clear and detailed. Hope to see more tutorials from you in the future.

Hope your daughter has a good birthday.

Deborah A

downrightcrafty said...

how gorgeous and love the detail
Hugs Kate xx

coops said...

so stunning lorraine.brilliant tutorial and your finished card is really gorgeous :D

xx coops xx

Shelly said...

Fab tutorial Lorraine, and beautiful card! xx

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Beautiful card Lorraine what a pretty image! Your tutorial was very clear and easy to understand! Susan x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...